Zoom Enhancements add-on

Bob Cavanaugh

Hi all,
The meeting I've mentioned before where I will need access to the
chats as they come in is tonight. When I posted the question of how to
get NVDA to read chats in Zoom, I saw a suggestion of download the
Zoom Accessibility Enhancements add-on and toggle all alerts to on. I
was going to take that suggestion, but when looking at the page for
that add-on, it says the latest version of NVDA it is compatible with
is 2020.2, and I'm running 2020.4. Will this work? Since my meeting
starts in about 35 minutes, I probably won't download the add-on
tonight, but was wondering if it worked.
Bob

Ann Byrne

alt-h should take you to the chat window.

At 07:53 PM 2/21/2021, you wrote:
Hi all,
The meeting I've mentioned before where I will need access to the
chats as they come in is tonight. When I posted the question of how to
get NVDA to read chats in Zoom, I saw a suggestion of download the
Zoom Accessibility Enhancements add-on and toggle all alerts to on. I
was going to take that suggestion, but when looking at the page for
that add-on, it says the latest version of NVDA it is compatible with
is 2020.2, and I'm running 2020.4. Will this work? Since my meeting
starts in about 35 minutes, I probably won't download the add-on
tonight, but was wondering if it worked.
Bob

Bob Cavanaugh

The issue, as I have stated before, isn't accessing the chat window as
it appears, but rather being alerted somehow that there is something
there for me to access. With NVDA 2020.4 and no add-on, it looks like
the chat messages are not read, but there was only one chat message
tonight and it looks like I caught it right away simply by routinely
checking, but I'd rather not have to constantly check the window.

At 07:53 PM 2/21/2021, you wrote:
Hi all,
The meeting I've mentioned before where I will need access to the
chats as they come in is tonight. When I posted the question of how to
get NVDA to read chats in Zoom, I saw a suggestion of download the
Zoom Accessibility Enhancements add-on and toggle all alerts to on. I
was going to take that suggestion, but when looking at the page for
that add-on, it says the latest version of NVDA it is compatible with
is 2020.2, and I'm running 2020.4. Will this work? Since my meeting
starts in about 35 minutes, I probably won't download the add-on
tonight, but was wondering if it worked.
Bob

Bhavya shah

Dear Bob,

Yes, the Zoom Enhancements add-on works with NVDA 2020.4 at my end. An
additional tip I would give is to use the Speech History add-on;
whenever NVDA reads a chat but I miss it because I am multi-tasking or
don't hear it over the audio of the Zoom call itself, this add-on
allows me to review the last several items in NVDA's speech history,
and even copy it to the clipboard which I can then paste somewhere
convenient to read by line, word or character. It is a bit of a
juggle, and I wish the Zoom chat list was much more screen reader
friendly than it currently is natively, but well.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Don't worry about the compatibility statements unless they are very old, like NVDA 18 or somewhere around there and no later.  Somewhere around NVDA 18 or 19, many add-ons had to be redesigned because the version of Python, (spelling) changed that NVDA uses and is programmed in.  Even if you install an incompatible version, I believe you will be told that it is incompatible.  It won't hurt anything, I'm not sure if it will even install.

Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Zoom Enhancements add-on

On 2/21/21, Ann Byrne <annakb@...> wrote:
> alt-h should take you to the chat window.
> At 07:53 PM 2/21/2021, you wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>The meeting I've mentioned before where I will need access to the
>>chats as they come in is tonight. When I posted the question of how to
>>get NVDA to read chats in Zoom, I saw a suggestion of download the
>>Zoom Accessibility Enhancements add-on and toggle all alerts to on. I
>>was going to take that suggestion, but when looking at the page for
>>that add-on, it says the latest version of NVDA it is compatible with
>>is 2020.2, and I'm running 2020.4. Will this work? Since my meeting
>>starts in about 35 minutes, I probably won't download the add-on
>>tonight, but was wondering if it worked.
>>Bob

Bob Cavanaugh

That last statement I agree with. What I don't understand is why NVDA
reads every other alert with the latest version of Zoom, but doesn't
read chat alerts without the add-on. Now, it even reads whether or not
the meeting is being recorded, but without the add-on, there seems to
be no way to get it to read chats without opening the panel.

At 07:53 PM 2/21/2021, you wrote:
Hi all,
The meeting I've mentioned before where I will need access to the
chats as they come in is tonight. When I posted the question of how to
get NVDA to read chats in Zoom, I saw a suggestion of download the
Zoom Accessibility Enhancements add-on and toggle all alerts to on. I
was going to take that suggestion, but when looking at the page for
that add-on, it says the latest version of NVDA it is compatible with
is 2020.2, and I'm running 2020.4. Will this work? Since my meeting
starts in about 35 minutes, I probably won't download the add-on
tonight, but was wondering if it worked.
Bob

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com

Afik Souffir

Why the alerts are not shows in braille? Can i turn it on, somehow?

On 2/21/21, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
> Dear Bob,
>
> Yes, the Zoom Enhancements add-on works with NVDA 2020.4 at my end. An
> additional tip I would give is to use the Speech History add-on;
> whenever NVDA reads a chat but I miss it because I am multi-tasking or
> don't hear it over the audio of the Zoom call itself, this add-on
> allows me to review the last several items in NVDA's speech history,
> and even copy it to the clipboard which I can then paste somewhere
> convenient to read by line, word or character. It is a bit of a
> juggle, and I wish the Zoom chat list was much more screen reader
> friendly than it currently is natively, but well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 2/21/21, Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...> wrote:
>> The issue, as I have stated before, isn't accessing the chat window as
>> it appears, but rather being alerted somehow that there is something
>> there for me to access. With NVDA 2020.4 and no add-on, it looks like
>> the chat messages are not read, but there was only one chat message
>> tonight and it looks like I caught it right away simply by routinely
>> checking, but I'd rather not have to constantly check the window.
>>
>> On 2/21/21, Ann Byrne <annakb@...> wrote:
>>> alt-h should take you to the chat window.

> --
> Best Regards
> Bhavya Shah
> Stanford University | Class of 2024
> E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@...
> LinkedIn: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fbhavyashah125%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cfbf2536099924fc97be708d8d763dc61%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637496171180322707%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=qnh2914rv%2B3TLhE7N%2F5uCjre2Y5llYcYCQNQOZe4s0c%3D&amp;reserved=0

Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...>

Hi Bob,
It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a look at it if they aren’t already.

Bob Cavanaugh

Not yet, I'll probably do that soon if the add-on doesn't solve the
issue, but I didn't get a chance to download the add-on before my
Sunday night meeting.

On 2/22/21, Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bob,
It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here
and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the
NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a
look at it if they aren’t already.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Gene

it must of been 2 early in the morning for me I know unchecking those elemetns will stop it been spoken out. I guess that is what can happen when sitting in front of a computer going through documents can do when editing etc for to long.

time for a coffee I am glad I do not use a lap top commands which is the document I am going through.

I do not think he can stop it from been spoken out

Not sure if the audio themes add on will do it either he would ahve to try a email that does it with it enabled.

Gene nz

On 24/02/2021 8:41 am, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Not yet, I'll probably do that soon if the add-on doesn't solve the
issue, but I didn't get a chance to download the add-on before my
Sunday night meeting.

On 2/22/21, Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bob,
It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here
and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the
NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a
look at it if they aren’t already.

Gene

I think it is important to think about what the feature should do and how it can be adjusted.  I would think that, in many cases, hearing messages read as they come in would be distracting.  It might be a good idea to give a number of ways the user can know when a message comes in.  A tone might be one way.  Perhaps having the first line read might be another, and a third might be having the whole message read.  The meetings I attend have very few messages so I haven't been able to play with the interface much.  Those who do may have mor suggestions, such as a command to skip from message to message or maybe use some sort of commands such as NVDA key and numbers on the main keyboard to jump to messages and a way to read the message you jump to.  But I would think that just having information read out as it comes in would be far to restrictive in terms of what people might want, depending on circumstances.

On 2/22/21, Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>> It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here
>> and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the
>> NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a
>> look at it if they aren’t already.

Bob Cavanaugh

In most cases, the meetings I attend and have very few chat messages as well, but this particular meeting we will be using the chat feature much more, or at least that’s what it appeared, though we did not use it as much on Sunday as I thought we would. As for interacting with the chat window though, I am not sure why anyone is suggesting changing the way that works, as I find the chat window it’s self fairly accessible, but I have no idea when to check it because I am not alerted when a message arrives.

On Feb 23, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I think it is important to think about what the feature should do and how it can be adjusted.  I would think that, in many cases, hearing messages read as they come in would be distracting.  It might be a good idea to give a number of ways the user can know when a message comes in.  A tone might be one way.  Perhaps having the first line read might be another, and a third might be having the whole message read.  The meetings I attend have very few messages so I haven't been able to play with the interface much.  Those who do may have mor suggestions, such as a command to skip from message to message or maybe use some sort of commands such as NVDA key and numbers on the main keyboard to jump to messages and a way to read the message you jump to.  But I would think that just having information read out as it comes in would be far to restrictive in terms of what people might want, depending on circumstances.

Not yet, I'll probably do that soon if the add-on doesn't solve the
issue, but I didn't get a chance to download the add-on before my
Sunday night meeting.

On 2/22/21, Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>> It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here
>> and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the
>> NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a
>> look at it if they aren’t already.

Gene

I don't know if how it works should be changed because I almost never receive chat messages in the meetings I attend.  But it would seem to me that a sound option should be offered along with the option to have something spoken because the member may not want to be distracted from what is being spoken when a message comes in.

The host may want to hear who a message is from when it comes in but an attendee who is not a host might really prefer a sound.

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:00 PM

In most cases, the meetings I attend and have very few chat messages as well, but this particular meeting we will be using the chat feature much more, or at least that’s what it appeared, though we did not use it as much on Sunday as I thought we would. As for interacting with the chat window though, I am not sure why anyone is suggesting changing the way that works, as I find the chat window it’s self fairly accessible, but I have no idea when to check it because I am not alerted when a message arrives.

On Feb 23, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I think it is important to think about what the feature should do and how it can be adjusted.  I would think that, in many cases, hearing messages read as they come in would be distracting.  It might be a good idea to give a number of ways the user can know when a message comes in.  A tone might be one way.  Perhaps having the first line read might be another, and a third might be having the whole message read.  The meetings I attend have very few messages so I haven't been able to play with the interface much.  Those who do may have mor suggestions, such as a command to skip from message to message or maybe use some sort of commands such as NVDA key and numbers on the main keyboard to jump to messages and a way to read the message you jump to.  But I would think that just having information read out as it comes in would be far to restrictive in terms of what people might want, depending on circumstances.

Not yet, I'll probably do that soon if the add-on doesn't solve the
issue, but I didn't get a chance to download the add-on before my
Sunday night meeting.

On 2/22/21, Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>> It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here
>> and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the
>> NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a
>> look at it if they aren’t already.

Sarah k Alawami

I just shift tab and read each message. You can also with the add on hit I think it’s alt 1 to alt 0. Read the documentation that ships with said add on or using the nvda add on documentation add on. That last sentence was not supposed to be a tongue twister.

In most cases, the meetings I attend and have very few chat messages as well, but this particular meeting we will be using the chat feature much more, or at least that’s what it appeared, though we did not use it as much on Sunday as I thought we would. As for interacting with the chat window though, I am not sure why anyone is suggesting changing the way that works, as I find the chat window it’s self fairly accessible, but I have no idea when to check it because I am not alerted when a message arrives.

On Feb 23, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I think it is important to think about what the feature should do and how it can be adjusted.  I would think that, in many cases, hearing messages read as they come in would be distracting.  It might be a good idea to give a number of ways the user can know when a message comes in.  A tone might be one way.  Perhaps having the first line read might be another, and a third might be having the whole message read.  The meetings I attend have very few messages so I haven't been able to play with the interface much.  Those who do may have mor suggestions, such as a command to skip from message to message or maybe use some sort of commands such as NVDA key and numbers on the main keyboard to jump to messages and a way to read the message you jump to.  But I would think that just having information read out as it comes in would be far to restrictive in terms of what people might want, depending on circumstances.

Not yet, I'll probably do that soon if the add-on doesn't solve the
issue, but I didn't get a chance to download the add-on before my
Sunday night meeting.

On 2/22/21, Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>> It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the suggestions you’ve received here
>> and it still isn’t working as expected. Have you opened up a ticket on the
>> NVDA git hub for this? Probably wouldn’t hurt to get the devs taking a
>> look at it if they aren’t already.

Sarah k Alawami

I have the chat alerts on even though I’m not a host. I can always access the last 10. I’d rather for me hear things blab as I don’t always hear the sound. Plus I always save the chats anyway, so when I get out of the meeting I have a copy of the chats.

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:00 PM